Wait, come back! Don’t let the title scare you off, this article can actually help you out! Yes, for those of you who are still interested, you can most definitely clean your house without breaking the bank. After all, it’s not like you can get away from cleaning. If you don’t want to be stuck living in a filthy and unhygienic pigsty, you’ve got to clean regularly. Taking the time out to clean every so often will help keep everything in your household in tip-top shape as well make them easy to maintain. You’ve got to admit, that even if you hate cleaning, the idea of being able to save money because of and while doing it sounds pretty good.
Now, you may be wondering how I could say that cleaning is cheap when buying the cleaning products can end up costing you quite a bit of money? Well, believe it or not, most of what you’d need to clean up around your home is likely already there. To be more specific, they’re in your kitchen and they’re just waiting for you to use them for some good old fashioned green cleaning.
Below is a list of items that can help you bring out the best in your house and won’t cost you a pretty penny to do it:
- Baking soda
- White or apple cider vinegar
- Olive oil
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Boiling water
*Be sure to open your windows before you start cleaning so that you can remove any bad odors and decrease the risk of mold, mildew, and bacteria in the house.
Now that you know that there is a way to clean your house for the low, low price of practically free, you’re probably wondering how to actually go about doing it. Well, you’ve stuck it out so far so keep reading and you’ll see which of these homemade cleaners you’ll use to clean what in your home.
Cleaning Windows With Vinegar
Cleaning windows can suck and so does spraying them down with harsh chemical cleaners. If you want to avoid the fumes and spending any money, then try a mixture of one part hot water and one part vinegar. If your windows very dirty then you may need to pre-wash them with soapy water first, then you can use the spray. If you need to pre-wash the windows avoid doing it in direct sunlight as the sun can overheat them and cause them to streak. For the best results, try using a squeegee.
Use Homemade Polish for any Wooden Furniture
If you want to bring out the best in your wooden surfaces, then consider using some olive oil. Olive oil acts a conditioner of sorts for wood and so is used in various wood polishes and cleaners. To make this polishing concoction, mix one part olive oil and a half pat of lemon. If actually cleaning the wood is your intention, then bust out our good old buddy vinegar and mix it with some water. This solution will help to rid the wood of any germs and dirt. It is best to use a soft cloth regardless of whether you intend to clean or polish as it will prevent scratches from appearing on the surface.
Baking Soda Is Really Good For Cleaning Carpets
It’s pretty common knowledge that if you’ve got a carpet, it’s going to get dirty eventually. It’s also pretty common knowledge that you need to have a pro come out to clean it when that happens. Or at least that’s what people think. Truth be told, all you really need is some baking soda and a bit of patience. If you’re wanting to get rid of bad smells in your carpet, then all you need to do is:
First, vacuum the floor, this is to remove any larger dirt particles which will block the baking soda from working as effectively.
- Spread the baking soda. It’s non-toxic to people and pets so you can spread it generously.
- Scrub it into the carpet, be sure that you remove any clumps as you do this.
- Let the baking soda sit for a full 24 hours. During this time, do not walk on the carpet.
- After you let it sit for the 24 hours, you can then vacuum the floor.
If you’re wanting to remove non-greasy stains:
Spread plenty over the surface of the stain.
- Lightly spray over the baking soda with hot water.
- Let the baking soda covered stain sit for three hours while making sure it stays damp. If you like, you can place a damp cloth over it so that you don’t have to constantly mist it.
- After letting the stain sit, you should then vacuum the area which should then be stain free. If it isn’t then you can repeat the process as much as you need to.
To remove grease stains you will have to:
- First thing’s first, blot the stain with a rag or paper towel. Don’t rub the grease as this will result in it setting into the carpet.
- After you’ve blotted the stain then you can sprinkle dry baking soda on top and let it sit overnight.
- Once morning comes, you’ll can then proceed with vacuuming the area. If you can’t see the stain then you’ve gotten it clean. If you can still see it then can take a bit (dime sized) of dish soap and blot it into the stain. This will help cut through the grease.
- Follow up the dish soap by blotting over it with water. Keep in mind that you should never scrub the stain as that can spread the grease and damage the carpet
- Your last step should be to dry the spot until slightly damp. Place more baking soda onto the stain and let it sit for about three more hours until vacuuming.
Dish Soap Is Good For Your Furniture
We’re all aware that liquid dish soap is good at washing dishes, hence its name. There may be some of you who aren’t aware that you can use it to clean upholstery. If you are ever in need of a good upholstery cleaner but are strapped for cash, you can mix some vinegar, warm water, and dish soap. Just spray it on the fabric and wipe with a dry, clean cloth. Be careful to not spray the water on too heavily so that you don’t ruin the furniture with the moisture.
Use Coffee to Deodorize The Fridge and Ketchup For Faucets
This one is sort of two-in-one deal as they both involve using foods (or rather a drink and a condiment) to freshen and revitalize your home. If you’re not feeling the funky smells coming from your fridge, then you can just place some used coffee grounds inside and then smell them work their magic as the bad odors clear right up. As for the ketchup, just apply it to the faucet (you can also use it to clean brass, copper, and silverware) and rinse it off.